Thursday, August 2, 2012

let there be light (from matching lamps)

Quick update on some thrift store finds turned fabulous new lamps for my living room.  My living room is extremely symmetrical, see below:

On top of that I don't have any lighting except some lighting that shines from the ceiling onto the mantle. I've been looking for some matching floor lamps to bring some light and style to the space, was looking for something like this: 
Like this one from CB2 - except I wanted gold
But at $150 a pop, that would be $300 for lamps (see my mad math skills?).  Needless to say, I didn't want to shell out that kind of cheese for two lamps, ain't my style.  I have looked at Target and found some similar options, but even at Target it was going to cost a minimum of $50 each for these, so $100 total (again, math skills are sick!).  
$50 option from Target
But then I came across these at a Thrift store for $10 each, shades for $2.50 each.  It appeared said thrift store had a boatload of stuff from a hotel that must have liquidated old furniture and lamps.  I pushed aside the grossness of buying things from a hotel.  I mean what can people do to lamps?  Nevermind, don't want to think about it. 



As I referenced in THIS POST, I'm kind of totally super obsessed with painting things gold.  So, a $5 can of gold spray paint later, and I had two awesome floor lamps with nice sized drum shades for only $30 TOTAL! (that's $15 x 2)  Dontcha just love 'em? 

IN PROCESS: (sneak peak of another project  - black chair)



Here they are in my living room: (excuse crappy cell phone photos)



I'm loving them and super-pleased with the great deal I got on them.  What do you think? 

TAGS: thrift store, floor lamp, gold, drum shade, spray paint


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog! It's always so fantastic to hear feed back like that!! Also I love this make over... what a 180'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @(excuse crappy cell phone photos). I have to use my cell phone for pictures, too, since a bird tried to kill me for taking it's picture and caused me to drop my camera. :-) The lamps look great!

    I found some buffet lamps at Dollar General once marked down to $2.80 each. I bought two. Then it drove me crazy that there were still two left at that incredibly cheap price, so I went back and bought those, too! Spray painted them white for a bedroom. :-) I LOVE bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Sofas........... thank you for sharing this great blog........

    Cheap Leather Sofas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Help! Second hand leather couches that really smell bad. Great price, bad buy. Didn't notice til in the house. Used vinegar water 3 times. Baking soda like snow. To big to take apart and put back outside in the sun. Vinegar and almond oil mixture used also. This might be an older post and maybe not the blog to post it....But I'm searching every where for help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Help! Second hand leather couches that really smell bad. Great price, bad buy. Didn't notice til in the house. Used vinegar water 3 times. Baking soda like snow. To big to take apart and put back outside in the sun. Vinegar and almond oil mixture used also. This might be an older post and maybe not the blog to post it....But I'm searching every where for help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me.
    koglenlampe.dk

    ReplyDelete